I made a piece that is supposed to resemble the Beijing National Stadium, Bird’s Nest made for the Beijing Olympics. I think I did a god job replicating the “birds nest” to my best ability. This time around it took a much shorter time to visualize my project although it still took me a few days to start creating. I am often hesistant in my work process because I do not know where to begin, but through this project I realized that just starting with something is better than just staring at the materials waiting for an idea of where to start.
I knew I wanted the light in the center of my piece so I started working around it. Because of my inspiration I thought all the wires would cast a lot of shadows on to the stage, and the best way to cast the most shadows was to have the Edison bulb in the middle. I struggled a lot in making my structure balanced. When we were about a week into the project I realized, it did not have to be perfectly symmetrical and I stopped worrying about making everything perfect and straight. Once I did that my process moved smoothly. I wrapped long wires around to create a greater surface area of wire around the perimeter.
With only a few cuts and some scratches, I finished my piece on our last work day. If I did this same type of project again I would just start right away and not try to think of every detail in the planning process. In the first project I didn’t plan enough, and in this one I focused too much on the structure of the process. Hopefully, I will be somewhere in the middle for the next project.