Making this wire column provided lots of challenges. In the beginning, I didn’t know where to start. I had ideas, but I didn’t know which one was the best. My Greek architectural influences seemed either too complicated or too simple, so I decided to go with a more simple design to branch off from there. Once I got started, everything became much easier.
I was able to give my sculpture structure, but it was not very strong. If the middle of the column was stronger, the sculpture would look nicer. Also, I didn’t secure the structure in a very neat fashion- I wish I had spent more time making the structure neater. I think that would have greatly improved the structure. I think the fact that I had trouble working with the wire did not help with my problems regarding neatness. The wire was tough to work with, but I did what I could to deal with it.
I think I would have had more success had I gotten right to my project and had less doubt because I would have had more time. If there was something I wanted to change about my design, I could have changed it with the extra time I had. I could have gone off the path of my original sign if I wanted to. I hope that in the future, I won’t be so afraid to get started and go through with my ideas.
This project was a great contrast to our first project, the soap sculpture. Instead of subtracting to create something, we added to create something. With just two projects, I’ve been able to see the possibilities of sculpture. This project makes me excited to see more.