Initially, I did not even know what I was going to do with this project. I found a book that was simplistic and that could be customized, whilst obtaining the perfect size. The title of the book is called Fates and Furies, so it only made sense to create this piece with a theme that embodied the title.
From the outside, I wanted the appearance of the book to look very normal– although it has a rough looking appearance embodying the contradictory effect of the words “fate” and “furies”.
Although I didn’t like the effect it had on the final product, I tried shaving off some of the corners of the pages. Additionally, another thing I did not like what I did was that I carved a triangle through the whole book.
The book was sectioned off so that one half was titled “Fate” and one was titled “Furies”, so as a result, I decided to carve a star into the book for the first half, and the colored it by using pastels. Then, with modgepodge, I joined most of the pages together to create a thicker, more decorative, larger overall page. After the modgepodge dried, for texture, I used metallic colored gold and silver pipe cleaners to outline the star shape. On the left side of this carving, I chose to draw a star with just pastels. I like the way it turned out because in a way, it complimented that carving.
For the ‘Furies’ portion, I made the cover look as though it were going to burst into flames, reflecting the connotation of the word. I did this using pastels.
Something I would add to this project is that I wanted to have little stars hanging from the bottom of the book. I think it would look aesthetically pleasing as well as highlight that fate can be hiding in the strangest of places; even a place with fury.