Wire Sculpture Artist Statement
The candle that I have made resembled a piece of my families history. My great grandparents had an old candle that we use on special holidays. We always use the candle in its old wax drip catcher. The candle was very dear to my grandparents so that is why we only light it on special holidays because we want the candle to last for a long time. My grandparents got the candle on their 50th anniversary from my grandfathers brother who got the candle from a magician Poland. The magician said that the candle would bring good will to all who lit it. The candle was carefully handcrafted out of basil and thyme and it burns for up to 235 hours.
I was able to make this candle sculpture by getting a thicker wire that can bend easily. The sculpture took lots of planning and multiple tries. I tried to make the candle in three different designs but only one of them truly looked the way I wanted it to look. I made the shaft of the candle by bending a wire and making into a coil. I made the flame of the candle by bending a short wire into a flame type shape. I attached the flame to the shaft of the candle by bending a thinner wire into a loop. Then I stuck the flame into the loop and then attached the loop to the coil. I made the wax drip catcher by making a tight coil to the bottom and then I popped the rest of the coil out to make the bowl shape.
I set out to create a visual representation of my family from an emotional perspective. I wanted to capture the randomness of my parent’s mood on any given day with metaphorical dice in an open hand. Any random roll can give way to numbers of possibilities, just like their emotions can be anything on any day. I found the layout of a standard six-sided die and, over the course of several days and bars of soap, carved the most intricate indented cubes I could. The creation of the cubes was the most difficult aspect of the project. Trying to create identical sides of a cube by slowly shaving away at the soap was very challenging. Whether the soap just crumpled under the force of the knife or my cube was noticeably lopsided, I found myself restarting over and over to perfect my dice. With my cubes finished I molded my hand into a position that was best to accommodate the space taken up by both dice. I felt that my final product and photographic representation of my work are very well done however something I need to work on moving forward is my patience. I often found myself rushing into various aspects of the project, often ruining them and needing to restart. I felt like I definitely could’ve executed this project more smoothly and maybe even better if I took my time more on the sculpting and molding process. Overall as my first piece I am very pleased and it has given me the experience to approach my future projects with knowledge of certain materials and sculpting tools.