For my wire project I chose to recreate a bop it. As a young child I was really into active games. I would spend the warm-weather days outside riding my unicycle, rollerblades and pogo stick. I remember being so happy when I received a bop it for Christmas in fourth grade because then I had something to do when I was trapped inside during the winter. For Latin’s fifth grade Lorado Taft trip I brought it along and it was a very uniting game.
I started off by using the drill to form a twisted wire which I then swirled into a cone to make it more structurally stable. Then I took two wires to created the “bop it” portion and attempted to mimic a wheel. then i took four wires and rapped a skinnier wire around it to create the actual structure of the bop it. There were a lot of challenges I faced during this project. Manipulating the wire deemed much more challenging than I initially thought it would be. However, through patience and trial and error I achieved it. Being semi-allergic to the oil covering the wire was also a hassle but gloves fixed that.
I chose a guitar to create a wire sculpture out of. Though I do not play guitar anymore, playing it when I was younger was a large part of my childhood. I was not able to bring it into class.
Observations: strings, curvy shape of bottom, knobs at top, hole in the middle, small width.
Here is a sketch I drew in class to prepare me for the actual wire creating.
For my one hundred project, I chose to work with two materials; both wire and cable ties. I had a hard time deciding what to do, since my original material was nails. Finally, I decided to recreate a doodle I made on my way to Florida in one of my notebooks.
I started by building a frame/outline out of wire. This was the most painful thing EVER. I was really impressed with how it turned out because it really resembled the doodle. I bent the little wire segments in the piece outward to create more of a three-dimensional effect. After completing the frame out of wire, I built a stand for the piece but decided I didn’t like it in the end. Having completed my frame completely, I started placing cable ties on my piece; that was my one hundred component. I strategically placed the cable ties in each section so that there would be a consecutive black-white pattern in each row. Once I saw that the cable ties were filling up most of the space, I decided to experiment and leave a few hanging below, just straight.
Overall, I would totally work with wire again. The final product wasn’t what I expected aesthetic wise, but I still like the look. I think it’s a really cool abstract(ish) interpretation of a doodle. I would actually even hang it in my own room.
In this project, I aimed to create a dress at first, with unique and intricate design. Later on while trying to make the dress stand up on it’s own, I realized that a person, or mannequin would be the perfect kind structure to hold it up. The person in the dress is in a pose that means a lot to me, for it stands for positivity. To me, crossing your arms or hunching are symbols of vulnerability in your everyday life. Posture can effect your confidence, and I have experienced instances where it has affected me personally. As a result, I wanted to create a symbol that represented a positive mindset for myself.
Personally, the most enjoyable part for me was creating the bottom of the dress. Coincidentally, it was also the most frustrating part. Using the drill constantly had me ready to move on to another step. Overall, this project was really enjoyable though because of my past experience with wire. I loved creating a stop motion that displayed my piece in a whole new way. I almost reminds me of a Target ad.